On Giving: #2 Posted on June 25th, 2015 by

Last week we had a camper here on scholarship.  A beautiful, strong, quiet young girl.  Through the course of camp, she rarely spoke to me.  (Reminded me of my daughter at the breakfast table).  She was taking in everything and working hard.  When the camp was over, she was waiting for a ride from her dad so I went to try and make conversation one last time.

I asked her how her camp was.  She smiled a quiet smile and said she liked it.

Then she reached into her bag, then reached out to me with a $20 bill in her hand.  She said, “I want to give you this so others can come here on scholarship.”  I didn’t know what to say, so, as usual, I said the wrong thing.  “That is so kind of you, but you don’t have to do this.”  She did not take her hand back.  She said, “I want to do this.”

I received the twenty and I said how grateful I was she was here and for her donation.

She started to cry.  Then she said, “I don’t know why I’m crying.”  

Then she laughed through her tears.  She has a beautiful smile.
 6.25 blog
$2.5 million is what we will raise in endowed funds and $50,000 in annual contributions so campers who might have trouble with access to TLC can be a part of our community.  It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.  This endowment will kick out 200 full scholarships every year.  I have seen too many miracles to think otherwise. If you’re thinking about contributing to TLC, please visit this link.

And as I say to every camp, you don’t have to give to TLC.  Seriously.  But give somewhere.  Take a step and reach out. $20 can change a life.  I know one girl who changed mine.

How Can I Contribute?

1. Karen Mann says:

I cry when I leave camp, too! Just love everything about it!!